Job Announcement EXTENSION: Denver Bike Sharing Business Affairs Director
By Ben! Jun 22, 2011 | 11:00AM
Business Affairs Director
Denver Bike Sharing
Employer: Denver Bike Sharing, a non-profit charitable organization
Term: Starting date - September 1st
Probation period – 90 days
Compensation: $45,000-$50,000 based on qualifications and experience; plus paid time off and
medical/dental/vision benefits after probation period
Minimum Qualifications: Business/accounting degree or equivalent experience; Minimum of 5 years related experience
Reports to: Executive Director
Re-issue announcement: Wed, Jun 22, 2011
Submission deadline: Monday, 5:00pm July 25, 2011
Interviews of top candidates: Tuesday, Wednesday August 9&10th, 2011
Offer: Thursday, August 11th, 2011
Decision from candidate requested by: Monday, August 15, 2011
Starting date: Thursday, September 1st
Background: Visit www.denverbikesharing.org and denver.bcycle.com for information about the organization and the B-Cycle system.
The person in this position provides the structure and discipline for a very dynamic office environment. Denver Bike Sharing(DBS) is an unusual hybrid between a for profit entity that provides and charges for a service, has a merchant account, owns depreciable assets AND is simultaneously a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization with all of the associated state and federal tax implications and governance dynamics. DBS is an organization with 10 full time, 6 part time staff and, at any given time, usually 2-3 unpaid interns. The Business Affairs Director has primary responsibility for the following functions of Denver Bike Sharing:
- Process Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable in a timely manner;
- Process payroll on a semimonthly basis – includes both salaried and full-time and hourly positions;
- Track sales and use taxes and submit quarterly payments;
- Reconcile daily sales reports with merchant accounts and track trends;
- Report weekly and monthly financial information on both an accrual and cash basis in a format that meets the needs of management and the Board of Directors;
- Track and report on current fiscal year budgets and cash flow forecasts;
- Create budgets for up to five years in the future;
- Create depreciation and amortization schedules and enter in accounting system through adjusting entries;
- Assist in grant reporting;
- Prepare for, staff and participate in monthly meetings of the Board of Directors and the Finance Committee Meetings.
Office Manager Functions:
- Maintain and support IT functions;
- Monitors condition of office
- Maintains relationship with Landlord and other vendors;
- Purchase office supplies;
- Maintain filing system for AR, AP, personnel records, sponsorship agreements, license agreements, grants/contributions, and insurance policies.
- Process new hires - ”employee onboarding”;
- Manage and monitor benefits, including tracking Paid Time Off
- Review and monitor insurance policies including medical, dental, vision, worker’s comp, liability, auto, etc.
- Review and monitor contracts including lease agreements for office space and equipment;
- Assist with customer service calls as needed.
We have made our best attempt to define the job responsibilities of the Business Affairs Manager; however, because this is still a relatively new, continuously evolving and growing endeavor, the successful candidate will have to be innovative and flexible. Long hours are often required.
Criteria for Evaluation:
Candidates will be evaluated based on their demonstrated experience and proficiency in the following areas:
- Detail oriented individual with impeccable organizational and problem-solving skills and an aptitude for multi-tasking;
- Highly focused, results-oriented, self-initiating, and independent worker;
- Five+ years of progressive experience in business affairs management with an emphasis in accounting;
- Understanding of nuances associated with non-profit accounting;
- Ability to focus in an open office environment with interruptions;
- Ability to work collaboratively and happily in a team environment under pressure;
- Exposure to grants management and contract management a plus;
- Demonstrated interest in bike movement a plus;
- Essential advanced technical skills;
- Accounting for Non-profits
- Quickbooks Proficiency
- Microsoft Suite – especially Excel
Please direct questions in writing only, and submit a letter of interest, resume plus list of 3 references and contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not apply if you have not had a minimum of 5 years experience in a similar position and possess the essential technical skills.